Goodbye NOKIA and thanks for all the fish
Posted by Uwe Kaminski in internettabletblog.de Samstag, 12 Februar 2011 13:28
Just my personal opinion about the decision of Nokia to support Windows Phone as main mobile platform.
NOKIA’s decision is a big smash into the face of
- all the developers which believed the story about QT as main framework and actively working on applications for MeeGo/Symbian
- the community which was supported over years and which was growing more and more
- Intel and all the other MeeGo partners
- Business partners and shareholders which now have to wait at least one more year until the new platform is ready
- all the NOKIA employers which have to do a 180° turn now
- the whole open source idea @ NOKIA
NOKIA will end up as an hardware partner among others like Samsung and HTC for Microsoft’s OS which may be nice but not relevant for me. This decision comes years to late now. It is the second time a decision which changes everything at NOKIA without releasing a real product. The first time was the decision to do it the open source way.
It’s a very sad day for NOKIA and also for me.
But I don’t will go without a list of things I got from the Maemo community and NOKIA the last years:
- Contact to a great community and awesome people all over the world
- Maemo (and also MeeGo) was helping me to understand open source and the idea behind
- A much better knowledge about GNU Linux
- An awesome device, the N900
- indirectly it helped me to get a new job
- indirectly it helped me to get a c-base member
I’ll track what happens with MeeGo but I’m sure I never will own a NOKIA product again. Open Source is not dead (outside of NOKIA).